Namibia has condemned the recent spate of attacks on tourists, saying the police should do everything to contain the situation.

In a statement Monday, the environment ministry said there had been two attacks on tourists in the country within two weeks.

The latest attack, the ministry said, was on Aug. 10 in Windhoek.

Two of the attackers were arrested with the help of the public and are yet to appear in court.

“We also call upon the judiciary to show no mercy over these suspects as a way of discouraging this disturbing trend in our country,” the statement said.

Namibia, the statement added, has always been regarded as a safe travel destination with peaceful people.

READ ALSO:  Airports in Europe Meeting the Global Standards

“This reputation has contributed to the growth of tourism in the country and with the current trend where tourists are being attacked, we are called upon to take collective measures, as individuals and institutions to restore our status of a peaceful environment,” the statement said.

In this regard, the environment ministry said it condemned in the strongest way possible the destructive actions by some members of the society.

“Violence is not an experience we want to create for our tourists, but on the contrary, we want them to experience the peacefulness that we have always offered over the years,” the statement further said. Enditem

READ ALSO:  OJ's ?May3 Se Mo Pen?

Source: Xinhua/Newsghana.com.gh