Fire bellows from the roof of a building at the Mabibo Hostel in Dar es Salaam yesterday (TOP LEFT) following a suspected electricity short circuit caused by a faulty electronic gadget.

Fire bellows from the roof of a building at the Mabibo Hostel in Dar es Salaam yesterday (TOP LEFT) following a suspected electricity short circuit caused by a faulty electronic gadget.

The inferno reportedly started at Block B of the hostel?s building a few minutes after 9am yesterday and authorities are still working to find out the cause of the blaze.

Two students were injured after they jumped from the second floor of the building as they tried to escape from the raging inferno.

An eye witness, who is also a resident of the hostel, told the ?Daily News? that the fire may have been caused by a faulty electronic equipment that was used by one of the students.

?There had been recurring power outages since Sunday night at the hostel; power was back by today morning (yesterday), the fire started when one of the female students had plugged an electrical kettle which is said to be faulty,? the eye witness who preferred to remain anonymous confided to ?Daily News?.

The Fire and Rescue Brigade arrived late when most of the property in the building had been destroyed, but they managed to contain it from spreading to other buildings in the hostel.

There were ensuing melee between students and members of the Fire and Rescue Brigade, especially when the former started pelting stones at the firemen, blaming them for coming late and being unable to prevent the inferno from causing more damage.

Apart from the property destroyed in the blaze, some students complained that they had their equipment stolen by fellow students and other people who were attempting to cart away possessions from the ill-fated building to safety.

Some of the stolen items include money, mobile phones, laptops and tablets, among others. Speaking after he arrived at the scene, the Vice-Chancellor of UDSM, Professor Rwekaza Mukandala, was relieved that no death was caused by the fire, save for the injuries that the two students sustained.

?We are grateful to God that no student lost life as a result of the fire, although two of them were injured and rushed to hospital for treatment.

A lot of property has been destroyed though,? Prof Mukandala noted. Prof Mukandala said a team of experts will work to find out the source of the fire, citing electrical fault as the likely cause of the inferno.

Block B is a three-storey building with 153 rooms, which houses between four and eight students per room. Prof Mukandala said the UDSM would look for alternative accommodation for the students pending reformation of the building.

Source Tanzania Daily News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.