Fulani Robber Moro Osmanu Jailed 40 Years

Moro Osmanu jailed 40 years for robbery

The Juaso Circuit Court in the Asante Akim South District of the Ashanti Region has sentenced a Fulani herdsman of Nigerian descent to 40 years’ imprisonment on two counts of conspiracy to commit robbery and robbery.

Moro Osmanu, 25, the convict who was already standing trial at an Ejura court for murder but granted bail on health conditions, was handed the sentence on Wednesday April 25, 2012 by the presiding judge of the court, his Lordship Justice S.K Appiah Sarpong.

Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Joseph Obeng told the court that on March 4, 2012, the convict, in the company of five other accomplices who were at large, blocked the triple lane on the Accra-Kumasi highway, near Odumase, at about 12:30 am.

After blocking the main road with wood logs, the convict and his cohort who wielded offensive weapons, pounced on a Daewoo bus with registration number AW 543-X.

Having besieged the bus which was traveling from Nkoransa in the Brong Ahafo Region to Accra, the armed robbers, who were not wearing masks, robbed the driver of the bus, one Caleb Yaw Boateng, of an amount of GH¢1,400.

Not satisfied with the amount, the unwavering robbers then proceeded to rob the passengers on board, at gunpoint, of their valuables.

Chief Inspector Obeng indicated to the court that the patrol team of the Konogo District Police Command rushed to the scene when word reached them of the robbery on that section of the main road.

When the fully-armed police personnel got to the scene, the robbers exchanged fire with them but the police overpowered the robbers.

Sensing danger, the robbers fled into a nearby bush with their booty though some of them sustained gunshot wounds from the shootout that ensued between them and the police.

After the gun battle, the police removed the roadblocks to give road users access.

According to the prosecutor, the driver of the bus and the passengers onboard the vehicle were marched to the Konogo District Police Command for a formal complaint to be lodged after which their statements were taken.

Passengers who sustained gunshot wounds were taken to the Konogo Government Hospital for treatment.

Chief Inspector Obeng pointed out that during investigations, they had information that one of the robbers was receiving treatment at Ejura.

Having received the information, he said his outfit then liaised with their counterparts at Ejura to arrest the suspect, after which they went for him and placed him in custody.

The prosecutor indicated that at an identification parade organized by his outfit, the driver of the bus and some of the victims identified the convict as one of the robbers who attacked them on that day.

Chief Inspector Obeng said the gunshot wound, which was still fresh on the right arm of the convict, corroborate the conviction of the victims that indeed the convict was among the robbers.

He stated that initially, the convict lied that the wound was inflicted on him by one of his cows but a diagnostic exercise carried out by Dr Kingsley Dwobeng Boateng at the Konogo Government Hospital confirmed it was a gunshot wound.

After investigations were completed, the convict was arraigned and the presiding judge, after listening to the submission of the prosecutor, gave him a 40-year jail term.

Source Daily Guide Ghana


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.