Zimbabwean Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa is not yet fully recovered from illness caused by suspected food poisoning, President Robert Mugabe said Saturday.

In an address at the National Heroes Acre for the joint burial of Mbuya Maud Muzenda, widow of former Zimbabwe Vice President Simon Muzenda, and George Rutanhire, a veteran freedom fighter, Mugabe said the vice president attended part of the burial ceremony in Mbare before excusing himself.

“The vice president said he has not yet fully recovered and is no longer going to the National Heroes Acre as per the instructions of his doctors who have advised that he must not strain himself at this juncture,” Mugabe said.
Mnangagwa suffered a severe bout of vomiting and diarrhea while Mugabe was addressing a rally in Gwanda, Matabeleland South Province, on Aug. 12.

After receiving initial treatment in the country, Mnangagwa was airlifted to South Africa the following day for further treatment. He returned to Zimbabwe on Aug. 19.

He made his first public appearance since falling ill on Aug. 25 when he visited the homesteads of the Muzenda and Rutanhire families in Harare to pay his condolences.

While some speculate that the VP fell sick after eating poisoned food, the government has rebuffed the claim, saying he fell sick after taking stale food.

“What the doctors think happened is that perhaps he ate some stale food, which then means it is not really poison in the sense that the people are trying to allege,” Information Minister Chris Mushohwe was quoted as saying by the state media last week. Enditem

Source: Xinhua/NewsGhana.com.gh