Palace guards and military force providing security to the regent of Dagbon and his elders in Yendi arrested a man armed with ammunition after he stormed the Gbewaa palace in what residents said was a suspected murder attempt on the regent, Kampakuya Naa Abdullai Yakubu Andani. He was arrested on Thursday midnight. Palace residents told Ultimate News Eliasu Tanko, the intruder was arrested with a seven round pistol, a report police did not corroborate.

Northern police public relations officer, ASP Yussif Tanko confirming the arrest to Ultimate News said the suspect Alhassan Muniru forcibly entered the palace-yard which is marked security zone but was quickly intercepted by the permanent security guards.“In the early morning of Thursday around 12:30am, the person entered the palace and they searched him and found ammunition, four of them, so he was arrested to assist in investigation.

He is currently in custody at Yendi”, ASP Tanko told Ultimate News on telephone.The incident sparked no tension between the feuding Abudu and Andani factions battling for legitimacy of the Dagbon skin.It also did not affect the fragile peace in Yendi. This is the first time a suspected murder attempt was recorded since the Andani regime was attacked in 2002 leading to the assassination of then overlord, Ya-Naa Yakubu Andani II.

ASP Tanko said police are investigating to establish reasons behind the suspect’s action but added the suspect had told investigators he was there in search of “somebody”.No-one was hurt in the incident and witnesses said the suspect was severely beaten by the soldiers before being handed over to police.

The two factions are yet to comment about the incident and the military was also not available to respond to allegation of assault on the suspect.Security has been beefed up at the palace and calm restored. The development follows a crisis meeting held last month between National Security and Chieftaincy ministers and leaders of the Abudu and Andani families to ensure lasting peace in the Dagbon kingdom which has remained for more than a decade without a chief.