Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos. UN Photo/Mark GartenThe top United Nations humanitarian official voiced relief today that seven aid workers abducted earlier this week in Yemen have now all been released unharmed.

In a statement, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos said the seven workers are now in Sana?a, the Yemeni capital, and in contact with their families. The workers had been kidnapped on Tuesday.

?I would like to sincerely thank the Yemeni authorities and all those who worked tirelessly to secure the safe release of our colleagues,? said Ms. Amos, who is also the UN?s Emergency Relief Coordinator.

?This incident serves to remind us of the dangers faced every day by humanitarian workers helping people in crisis situations around the world. Their only aim is to provide assistance and protection to people in need.?

View the original article here

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.