Fire

EKUA BRAGO, a 70-year-old woman, died when she was burnt beyond recognition when her wooden structure at Kaketo, an Ashaiman suburb, was gutted by fire.

The deceased was said to have been trapped in her room when a mosquito coil lit near her bed, ignited the mattress, burning her to death.

Police and fire service personnel discovered the charred body after dousing the fire at about midnight.

James Sosuh, a tenant, told DAILY GUIDE that he was awakened around midnight by a loud bang and got out of his room to realize that fire had engulfed the deceased’s structure.

He said noise from some tenants attracted other neighbours who came out from their rooms to the scene.

Sosuh suspected the woman might have died from inhaling toxic waste, and heat since she was indisposed, weak and living alone in her room when the incident occurred.

Chief Superintendent Thomas Tindow, Ashaiman District Police Commander, who confirmed the incident to DAILY GUIDE, noted that enquiries made revealed that the deceased died as a result of an unattended mosquito coil catching fire with a mattress on which the deceased was sleeping.

According to him, his outfit received a distress call that midnight about the incident and some police personnel were dispatched to the scene. After successfully dousing the fire, they found the charred remains of the deceased.

The District Commander admonished the general public to desist from sleeping with naked light close to them, adding that people should take their personnel safety seriously.

He said the body had been deposited at Police Hospital morgue in Accra.

When DAILY GUIDE visited the scene, residents were yet to come to terms with the incident.

Some of the tenants whose building was affected by fire were also seen repairing their damaged structures.

 From Vincent Kubi, Ashaiman

View the original article here

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.