The World Health Organization (WHO) has given 20,000 U.S. dollars and two vehicles to help Zambia tackle an outbreak of typhoid in the country’s capital Lusaka, an official said on Tuesday. WHO
The water-borne disease broke out in Kanyama, one of the sprawling shanty compounds in the city, Minister of Health, Joseph Kasonde, told a press briefing.
So far, one 11-year-old girl has died of suspected typhoid. The authorities have closed 30 schools due to their unsanitary conditions.
Kasonde told reporters that four cases have been tested positive out of the 274 suspected cases screened by the ministry.
The health ministry, he said, has since intensified screening process and results were being evaluated by health staff while sensitization programs have been enhanced.
He further said the ministry was working with education authorities to monitor the situation at all schools before they could re-open.
WHO Representative in Zambia, Jacob Mufunda, said the agency was happy with the steps taken by the government to combat the spread of the disease. Enditem

-Xinhua

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.