THE owner of the collapsed nii Boi Town building and three building inspectors of the accra Metropolitan assembly have been arrested by the assembly and handed over to the police.

The inspectors are expected to be charged for negligence because instead of stopping the construction, they rather supervised it. They have already been interdicted for six months without pay.

The owner of the building, Mr. SK Omari, is also being held for building without permit and a land title to the land. According to the AMA, he failed to stop construction works when he was served with three ??stop work?? notices.

Meanwhile, a combined rescue team of the military, police, Fire Service and NADMO, as at press time yesterday, were still working on the sixstorey building that collapsed Thursday dawn killing one person and seriously injuring another, at Nii Boi town, near Abeka Lapaz, Accra.

The team, in an interview with DAILY GUIDE, said they had been tasked to collect the debris to ground zero to make sure that nobody had been trapped.

One of the rescuers told the paper on condition of anonymity that trucks had been provided for the collection of the debris from the site.

There was heavy security, even as the tragedy entered its second day.

The residents were calm with mournful faces, while some continued to assist the team with drinking water. Those close to the place where the incident occurred were said to have raised concerns about the state of the structure, pointing at the relevant authorities such as AMA and others, for not ordering work to stop on what was obviously a death trap.

Meanwhile, information reaching DAILY GUIDE indicated that the police had arrested Mr. Moses Abbey, the contractor working on the sixstorey hotel building. He was picked up late Thursday afternoon for interrogation.

The police were hunting for the owner of the hotel, S K Omare, who is reported to be avoiding phone calls.

Deputy Works and Housing Minister, Samson Ahi, told Joy fm ? a radio station in Accra ? that with the support of the security agencies, Mr. Omari would be fished out.

He said the ministry would be setting up a technical committee to investigate the matter.

The dead body ? yet to be identified ? according to the police, had been deposited at the Police Hospital morgue for preservation, while the injured person, also not yet identified, was on admission at the same health facility receiving treatment.

The sad incident happened on the heels of a similar tragedy when the building housing Melcom Supermarket at Achimota, Accra, collapsed killing scores of people in 2012.

By Linda Tenyah

([email protected]


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.