waste-2

Mr Francis Abotsi, Volta Regional Environmental Health Officer, on Monday gave the assurance that the region would not record any cholera outbreak this year.

Business24

?We are beginning house-to-house campaign this week in the Ketu South and Akatsi South Districts and we know with surveillance, we will not record any case this year,? he said in an interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Ho.

He described the two districts as cholera prone areas in the region, and said that specific health programmes were being undertaken to prevent the disease.

?I am very confident that with these exercises and surveillance, there will be no case. You know, in the past four, five years, Ketu South recorded no cholera case so we know it is achievable,? Mr Abotsi stated.

Last year, cholera broke out in Akatsi South, Ketu South, North Tongu and Agotime-Ziope Districts with ten persons confirmed dead.

Mr Abotsi said the house-to-house? public health education was to complement educational programmes on radio aimed at promoting cleanliness.

He said issues to be addressed would include refuse disposal, how individuals are expected to use toilet in their houses, hand washing with soap before and after meals and the need for people to eat hot meals.

He said food vendors and sachet water operators would also be educated on food handling, personal and environmental cleanliness.

Mr Abotsi said health education programmes were ongoing in all districts in the region.

Source: GNA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.