Michael Werikhe Kafabusa is chairing the Adhoc committee on Oil

The Parliamentary adhoc committee investigating the regularization of the oil sector is set to resume its investigations into the irregularities within the oil sector and other related issues effective February.

This follows a submission to the constitutional court by the attorney general Peter Nyombi requesting the court to allow the committee to continue with its investigations into the oil sector.

The constitutional court recently stopped the Parliament’s committee on oil and that on Parliamentary rules, privileges and disciplines that were investigating the implicated ministers pending the disposal of a petition opposing the probe.

A Kampala Lawyer Severino Twinobusingye last year petitioned the constitutional court seeking among other declarations that the investigations against the Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi and other two cabinet ministers contravened certain Articles of the constitution.

But according to the chairperson Adhoc committee on oil Michael Werikhe, the attorney general Peter Nyombi last week wrote to the constitutional court requesting it (court) to allow parliament continue with its investigations saying they were crucial.

“We expect the court to clear us within a matter of weeks. As soon as the court says yes the committee will continue with its work,” Werikhe assured in an interview.

He added that; “we want to dispose off this issue urgently. Ugandans are waiting they want to know the outcome of our investigations”.

Werikhe said they would continue from where they stopped when court stopped their investigations and issue a report as soon as the investigations are complete.

The committee on rules, privileges and disciplines which was asked by parliament to investigate whether Premier Amama Mbabazi and two senior ministers Hillary Onek (Internal affairs) and Sam Kutesa (Foreign Affairs) were in contempt of parliament when they refused to step aside as resolved by parliament.

The committee had completed its investigations but was only constrained by the court’s ruling to have their report tabled before parliament.

Committee chairperson, Fox Odoi told New Vision that: “our report is ready we are only waiting for the constitutional court to disposal off the petition stopping the probe against the accused ministers.”

The ministers are accused of pocketing millions of dollars in kickbacks from oil exploring companies in allegations laid down by Western Youth MP Gerald Karuhanga which set off a stormy debate in the House and led to the raft of resolutions passed on October 11 last year.

By HENRY SEKANJAKO, The New Vision

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.