An Accra Circuit Court has sentenced two policemen to a total of 60 years imprisonment with hard labour for robbery.

The convicts, Lance Corporal Reuben Addison who was stationed at the Achimota Terminal in Accra and Constable Edward Opoku who was with the Armoured Squadron Unit of the Ghana Police Service, will each serve 30 years in prison.

The court, presided over by Mr Francis Obiri, indicated;

?It is an undeniable fact that robbery is on the increase, and has become a national problem. It is more serious when the offence is committed by policemen.

The time has come for the court to deal with heinous crimes. This is the only way to protect our country,? the trial judge said.

The two had pleaded not guilty to two counts each of conspiracy and robbery but were found guilty by the court.

In convicting the two, Mr Francis Obiri indicated that the prosecution had proven the guilt of the two policemen beyond reasonable doubt and therefore sentenced them to 10 years each on the charge of conspiracy and, 30 years each on the charge of robbery. The sentences are to run concurrently.

Explaining the decision of the court, the trial Judge indicated that the defence put up by the convicts, not only lacked substance but is infantile. He further added that their denial is an afterthought.

In rubbishing the convicts defence that the complainant, Tahiru, was a fake currency dealer, the court indicated;

?If indeed he dealt in fake currency, why was he not sent to the nearest police station but landed at a refuse damp at Oblogo??

According to the facts of the case, Tahiru collected GH?37,370 from his brother at Accra Central, on February 7, 2011 and hired a motorbike (Okada) to conduct his business at Abeka in Accra. On the way, Tahiru received a phone call to which the Okada rider stopped for him to speak to the caller.

Moments later, a man wielding a pistol emerged and ordered Tahiru to surrender his bag, but before the complainant could utter a word, the two policemen, who were in uniform, arrived at the scene in a Nissan March saloon car.

They (policemen) together with the pistol-wielding man, who is currently on the run, dragged the complainant and the okada rider into the saloon car and sped off amid claims that they were sending them (complainant and okada rider) to the Achimota Police Station.

On the way however, the okada rider was pushed out of the vehicle and the car later took a different course. But upon Oblogo, the vehicle?s engine ceased and sensing the opportunity, Tahiru began shouting for help. His shouts attracted persons who came to his rescue, and consequently, apprehended.

The convicts after their arrest, refunded GH?29,390 of the money to Tahiru.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.