A Fast Track High Court has asked the state to ensure that witnesses were present for the commencement of the trial of General Constable Ebenezer Owusu.

Owusu is standing trial for allegedly shooting and killing a senior police officer and another at the residence of the former Volta Regional Minister, Mr Kofi Dzamesi in 2008.

Charged with manslaughter and murder, Owusu has pleaded not guilty before a seven-member jury.

Owusu is said to have shot and killed Daniel Dzikunu Agbale instantly and wounded Superintendent of Police Mr Theophilous T. Nartey, who died three days later at the 37th Military Hospital.

When the case was called on Monday, Mr Anthony Rexford Wiredu told the court that their witnesses, who were coming from the Volta Region are not in court and prayed the court for an adjournment.

Mr Justice Mustapha Habib Logoh, the presiding judge, obliged the prosecution and adjourned the case to March 24.

On March 4 this year, the court revoked Owusu?s bail and remanded him into prison custody, saying that, the condition under which he was offered bail by a different court had changed.

This notwithstanding, a new bail application was put in by Owusu?s lawyer, stating that Owusu would not abscond.

Mr Wiredu objected to bail, saying, bail should not be offered to Owusu based on the charge of murder leveled against him.

According to Mr Wiredu, Owusu now knows what it entails if he is convicted and urged the court to take a look at the severity of the offence.

The case of the prosecution was that, Owusu was stationed at Ho and was later transferred to the Tamale Police Workshop.

On June 6, 2008 Owusu and General Constable John Ofori Ankomah were on duty at the residence of Mr Dzamesi and at about 2100 hours, Agbale went to the former Regional Minister?s residence but he was prevented from entering.

Agbale, the prosecution said, however managed to enter the residence, when Owusu went out to see his girlfriend off and he was informed about the incident. Owusu then proceeded to Supt. Nartey?s office and informed him about the matter.

The prosecution said Supt. Nartey followed up to the residence of the former Regional Minister, where a struggled ensued between Agbale and Owusu.

Owusu, who was armed with an AK 47 rifle, shot and killed Agbale and Supt. Nartey also got wounded.

Supt Nartey was rushed to the hospital, but later transferred to the 37th Military Hospital where he later passed on. GNA


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.