Wpid Baffour Sakyi
Tema Gas Explosion Kills Two More People

Baffour sakyi

Mildred Baffour and Evelyn Sekyi

ANOTHER VICTIM in the recent gas cylinder explosion accident at the Nyaniba Healthcare Training School, a private Nursing school in Tema, has been reported dead.

Mildred Baffour, a 22-year-old resident of Gbetsile in the Kpone-Katamanso District of Accra, died at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Accra where she had been on admission with other colleagues at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Burns Centre.

The deceased, a first year student of the Nursing school was purported to have passed on at about 4:30pm last Monday evening.

Mildred, according to information gathered by DAILY GUIDE, sustained about 65 percent injury from the accident, coupled with an inhalation injury in her respiratory tract which suffered severe burns, causing it to swell.

Her death came after that of Evelyn Sekyi, 21-year-old final year student of the school, who passed away last Saturday at the same facility in Accra from burns sustained in the explosion.

Christiana Yaw, a 25-year-old final year student and last victim of the accident at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, was said to be in good condition and could hopefully pull through.

The deceased?s body has since been deposited at the hospital?s morgue, awaiting the coroner?s report and onward release to her family for burial.

When Maxwell Amponsah-Owusu, Public Relation Officer (PRO) and Business Development Manager of the school was contacted via phone, he confirmed her death and promised to elaborate on it after an hour but has since failed to speak to DAILY GUIDE after several calls put to his phones.

The deceased was among some six Nursing students who sustained various degrees of injury in a gas explosion at the Nyaniba School Dormitory at Community 10, Tema.

Three others, Mary Mensah, 24, Gloria Nyeworvemah, 23, and Helena Dzenado, 20, who were rushed to the Tema General Hospital are said to be responding to treatment.

The gas cylinder exploded while six of the students were cooking spaghetti at the school dormitory 10, using gas cylinder. The accident was said to have occurred when a faulty valve of a cylinder, being used by a student, leaked liquefied gas into the dormitory that sparked fire, causing injuries and destroying properties.

 From Vincent Kubi, Tema

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.