SA High Commissioner Lulu Xingwana has condemned the xenophobic attacks
SA High Commissioner Lulu Xingwana has condemned the xenophobic attacks

The South African High Commissioner to Ghana, Lulama Xingwana, consoled on Monday African states and relatives of those who lost their lives or businesses or were injured in the ongoing xenophobic crisis that has griped that country.

SA High Commissioner Lulu Xingwana has condemned the xenophobic attacks
SA High Commissioner Lulu Xingwana has condemned the xenophobic attacks

According to her, the government of South Africa viewed the attacks on foreigners and other Africans as criminal which would not be tolerated.
Addressing the media here, the envoy said her country’s diverse nature made it accept and promote interaction among peoples of different backgrounds.
Coupled with that, Xingwama recalled the sacrifice of all African countries in the past in ensuring that her country gained freedom from the apartheid regime.
“South Africa will not forget the hospitality and support we received from fellow Africans during the difficult times in our anti-apartheid liberation struggle.”
“During this time, it was Africa that opened its doors and became home for many South Africans who fled the persecution of the apartheid government,” she recalled.
She added: “For many decades, Africans fought side by side with South Africans in a war against apartheid, contributing to the freedom we have today.”
For that reason, she said the government of South Africa “will also do everything in its power to ensure the safety of all citizens and foreign nationals”.
She reiterated the call on South Africans not to allow a few individuals to undermine the country’s historical achievements.
According to her, the death of four Ghanaians reported in South Africa, as well as the other Ghanaian who died last week, was not as a result of the ongoing crisis.
While the police have been emphatic that the first Ghanaian, Emmanuel Quarcoo, died as a result of natural causes, the envoy said the death of four other Ghanaians was being investigated by the police.
She argued that there was no violence going on in Heibron, a town in the Free State Province, where the four family members were reported dead.
Ghana’s state-run Daily Graphic later Monday quoted Ghana’s High Commissioner in South Africa, Kwesi Ahwoi, on their website as saying that the four family members died of generator fumes when they left the generator in their salon which doubled as their sleeping place.
Xingwama disclosed that the South African High Commission had received threats from four people who had come to the offices of the South African mission in Ghana to burn down the place.
According to her, the mater had been reported to the police and she was hopeful that people would desist from such acts.
In a related development, the security services in Ghana have moved in to give protection to staff and property of Anglogold, a South African mining company operating in Ghana.
Kojo Dougan, President of Ghana-South Africa Business Chamber, also reiterated the call on the angry youth in South Africa to remember the sacrifices other African nations had to make to secure South Africa’s freedom from apartheid.
He said his association would continue to seek the interests of all African countries, including South Africa. Enditem

Source: Xinhua,

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.