mines
mines

Rescue operations will continue in Gloria mine when gases level comes down, South African Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe said on Friday.

Twenty-two people entered the disused mine last week to steal copper cables. They were trapped after an underground explosion. Five bodies were recovered last week and seven others on Thursday.

“The work to retrieve the bodies found at Gloria mine is quite complex but it must be allowed to continue so that there can be closure on this matter,” Mantashe said on the scene.

Rescuers plan to restore ventilation to the mine and reduce flammable gases underground so that the search and recovery process can continue, Mantashe said.

The mine belonged to the Gupta family who are now out of the country and being investigated for alleged crimes. Enditem

Advertisements

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.