Pandemonium broke out at Meiran Police Station in Lagos, on Friday, as irate youths attacked officers attached to the station.

The youth, mostly tricycle riders, attacked the officers over the alleged shooting of one Dele Oroja, Unit head of the tricycle riders at Iwe/Ile-Epo, Meiran.

Oroja died on Friday morning after he was allegedly shot the previous night by a policeman for refusing to part with N50 bribe.

The youths took to the street after receiving news of Oroja’s death, and would have burnt down the Meiran Police Station but for the timely intervention of anti-riot police officers?drafted to the station.

Residents also accused officers attached to the station of incessant extortion at roadblocks, despite the Inspector General of Police’s ban on roadblocks across the country.

An eyewitness who requested anonymity said that on Wednesday, Oroja picked up?a soldier in mufti in his tricycle, but was accosted Ile-Iwe junction by the accused, who demanded for a N50 bribe.

The soldier was said to have challenged the policeman and ordered Oroja not to pay the bribe.

“The policeman slapped the soldier, not knowing he was a soldier. Immediately this happened, the soldier called for reinforcement from his barracks at the Command Area Meiran and they came in droves and beat up the policeman,” he said.
The eyewitness said that the policeman stopped Oroja again the following day, Thursday, and accused him of sending soldiers to beat him up.

“Oroja was with his brother on that Thursday evening; they were going to buy animal feeds when the policeman accosted him and said he was the one who brought soldiers to fight him. So that was how he shot Oroja,” the eyewitness added.

The deceased was said to have been rushed to Araba Medical Centre, a nearby hospital, where he was confirmed dead on Friday morning.

The State Commissioner of Police,?Umaru Manko, has called?for calm over the incident, stating that the policeman involved in the shooting had been arrested.

In a press statement made available to journalists on Friday, Ngozi Braide, the state police spokesperson, identified the officer as Corporal Abbey Adekunle.

She stated that Adekunle’s corpse had been “deposited at the General Hospital, Ikeja for postmortem examination, while the suspect is under arrest and currently being detained at the State Criminal Investigation Division (CID), Panti, Yaba.”

She, however, appealed to members of Meiran Community and other Lagos residents to remain calm while investigation into the killing continued.

View the original article here


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.