Acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan said Monday he had authorised US$1 billion to build part of the wall sought by President Donald Trump along the US-Mexico border. PHOTO: AFP
Acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan said Monday he had authorised US$1 billion to build part of the wall sought by President Donald Trump along the US-Mexico border. PHOTO: AFP

The Pentagon announced Monday that it has authorized the transfer of 1 billion U.S. dollars for the construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

In a press release issued Monday night, the Pentagon said acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan has authorized the commander of the U.S Army Corps of Engineers to begin planning and executing up to 1 billion dollars in support to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Customs and Border Patrol.

“These funds will be used to support DHS’s request to build 57 miles (about 92 km) of 18-foot-high (about 5.5-meter-high) pedestrian fencing, constructing and improving roads, and installing lighting within the Yuma and El Paso Sectors of the border” in support of President Donald Trump’s declaration of a national emergency on the nation’s southern border, according to the release.

Trump declared a national emergency in February in order to build the border wall, as building the wall had been a promise during his 2016 presidential campaign. The move has allowed him to bypass Congress to get access to funding but sparked rounds of legal and partisan battles.

Both chambers of Congress voted to block Trump’s emergency declaration but the president has vetoed their blocking resolutions.The House is expected to make an attempt to override Trump’s veto on Tuesday.

Advertisements

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.