The national and international military observers mission invited by the Mozambican government and main opposition Renamo delegation last year, to help reach an agreement for the integration of Renamo former militants to Armed Forces and the police, will end their mission on the coming Friday, the head of the government delegation, Jose Pacheco said on Monday. wpid-ex-militant350.jpg
The mission started to work last October, with a lasting period of 135 days, prolonged for 60 more days when the first 135 days expired.
“What we have concluded so far is that Mozambique can no longer continue supporting idleness, but we will wait until Friday the last day of the mission to take decisions.” said Pacheco.
“”We brought people for 135 days sitting in hotels, sleeping in hotels and over and over again travel, which has accommodation costs and other expenses to go check things that have nothing to do with the agreement of cessation of hostilities,” he continued.
He noted that countries were invited to a second mission, 60 days in expectation that the issue of Renamo disarmament would be exceeded.
The head of Renamo delegation to the talks, Saimone Macuiana said that all his party desires to see it happening in the compliance of the agreement to end hostilities.
“All we want to see is the agreement complied in the name of peace and stability of Mozambican people and all of us,” said Macuiana.
The mission was composed by countries including Botswana, the Great Britain, Italy, Portugal, Cape Verde, Kenya, Zimbabwe, South Africa and the U.S.. The European representatives left when the first 135 days ended, remaining only African representatives and nationals that represent the government and the main opposition Renamo.
Some national observers said that military observers mission did not bring any results to the talks, because no list of the names of Renamo armed men was presented to proceed with the integration process, and there is a lack of humility from both delegations to recognize their incapacity to find solutions to the long lasting deadlock.
Delegations of Mozambican government and the former rebel movement Renamo has been under talks since 2013, and reached a consensus last August with a memorandum of understanding signed between the two sides to end the hostilities, among which the integration of Renamo armed men stands as one of the terms. Enditem

Source: Xinhua

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.