Boko Haram
Boko Haram

Nigerian authorities have denied media claims that 25 of its soldiers had been shot dead by Boko Haram insurgents in the restive northeast state of Borno.

Army spokesperson Sagir Musa said in a statement reaching Xinhua on Sunday that all Nigerian troops in the restive region are safe and sound and that no one has come under any attack.

Unconfirmed reports claimed 25 soldiers were killed on Saturday when the insurgents attacked a military convoy evacuating civilians on Damboa-Biu road in Borno.

Musa, while reacting, dismissed the report as “rumor and fake.”

“Contrary to rumor and fake news circulating, there was no attack on any of our troops, locations at Sabon Gari or any other locations in Borno State,” the army spokesperson said.

Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, is currently engaged in the fight against the Boko Haram militant group in the northeast part of the country where it has been registering some impressive gains.

Nigeria’s northeast region has been a stronghold of the extremist group Boko Haram. Over past months, the Nigerian government has launched several military operations to eliminate the terrorist threat.

Boko Haram has been blamed for the death of more than 20,000 people and displacement of 2.3 million others in Nigeria since 2009. Enditem

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.