Neymar
Neymar

Brazil’s football confederation (CBF) said Thursday it is preparing to launch an appeal against Neymar’s ban from the Selecao’s first two 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

Neymar Jr
Neymar Jr
Neymar is still serving a four-match suspension delivered after his sending off in Brazil’s 1-0 loss to Colombia during the Copa America in Chile last month.

But the CBF said it will argue the ruling should only apply to matches under the jurisdiction of South American football’s governing body Conmebol. World Cup qualifiers fall directly under the control of world body FIFA.

“We are going to submit an appeal to Conmebol and to FIFA,” said the CBF’s secretary general Walter Feldman. “Our interpretation is that the Copa America is continental and therefore is not specifically related to the World Cup qualifiers.

“As far as we are concerned Neymar is apt to play in the first qualifier. After studying the situation we feel that our chance [of a successful appeal] is big.”

The South American World Cup qualifying draw will be in Saint Petersburg, Russia, on July 25. Enditem

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.