In Nakuru, Ulinzi Stars hit Oserian 2-0 in a major boost for the soldiers while Mathare United continued with their poor performance going down 1-0 against Chemelil.

Muhoroni Youth got their first win of the season by beating Nairobi City Stars 2-1 in the second match of a KPL double-header at Nyayo Stadium. Geoffrey Simiyu’s brace ensured Dan Serunkuma’s leveller counted for nothing for the citizens.

In the first match, Fredrick Onyango put Tusker ahead in the 25th minute as the brewers got off to a positive start. Karuturi, who controlled proceedings especially in midfield were back in the match two minutes into the second half when Kennedy Oduor scored from the spot after towering defender Joseph Shikokoti had brought down a Karuturi player.

Allan Otindo then stretched Karuturi’s lead in the 67th minute after beating the Tusker defence to slot home.

Second half substitute Obadiah Ndege got Tusker back on level terms with ten minutes to go and coach Sammy Omollo was more than relieved.

“It is always tough playing Karuturi and today was no different. I’m, however, disappointed with the manner we gave away our lead,” he said.

In Chemelil, the home side bounced back from last weekend’s 2-0 loss to Karuturi getting all three points and confining Mathare to misery.

Chemelil Sugar dominated proceedings during most of the first-half with the millers coming close to score twice against an equally fast-paced Mathare United. Enock Sichangi missed an opener for Chemelil Sugar in the 5th minute after latching on a right-flank cross by teammate Willice Ouma, hitting the crossbar with only Mathare United custodian Robert Mboya to beat.

Twenty minutes into the game, Chemelil Sugar continued piling pressure with Wycliffe Opondo equally hitting the crossbar following a free-kick he took after being fouled on the right-flank by a Mathare United player.

After the break, Chemelil Sugar upped their game notching the all-important goal in the 50th minute through a spot-kick by Willice Ouma after Mathare United central defender Daniel Wahome handled in the box.

Wahome handled the ball following pressure initiated by Chemeli’s Wycliffe Opondo and Daniel Mutai from the right-flank during the otherwise well officiated match by referee Tom Onyango.

Ruffled by the host’s lead, Mathare United who have now lost five matches in the ongoing premier league only drawing 2-2 against defending champions Ulinzi in Nairobi on Monday, came close to levelling the scores in the 88th minute through Kevin Opiyo.

Opiyo unleashed a shot which Chemelil custodian Fredrick Onyango poorly timed only for the ball to sail over. —Reports by Gilbert Wandera, Bosco Magare and Ben Ahenda.

By FP TEAM, The Standard


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.