JTF

The Joint Military Task Force in the Niger Delta on Monday said its personnel were on alert to check any threat to lives and property in the region.

Lt. Col. Nwachukwu Onyema, its Spokesman, gave the assurance in a telephone interview. He said that the task force was aware of the threat by the militant group, Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta, (MEND).

MEND in an online statement on Saturday warned that its members would resume sabotage of oil installations and facilities in the Niger Delta following the conviction of its leader, Henry Okah, by a South African court.

Onyema said that the genuine leaders of MEND embraced the amnesty programme of the Federal Government in 2009 and had been cooperating with the government since the programme began.

He said that the task force was aware that friends of Henry Okah might have issued the threat to cause mayhem in the region following his conviction.

“As far as we are concerned, there is no existence of any organisation or group of persons called MEND. A number of persons, who are sympathetic with Henry Okah are plotting mayhem because of his conviction by a South African court. “But, we have been on red alert and ready to protect the region.

“I want to assure Nigerians that no single individual or group can threaten the nation and go free,?? he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.