MEND recently threatened to attack South African investments in the Niger Delta

The Joint Military Task Force (JTF) in the Niger Delta region has assured the South African government and South African firms that all investments owned by them in the region will be adequately protected.

The Spokesperson of the JTF, Lt. Col. Nwachukwu Onyeama said this in Yenagoa on Monday, while reacting to the recent threat issued by militants in the region. 

According to him, the task force is determined to check all forms of illegality and criminality in the region. 

Onyeama also noted that the real members of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) had embraced the Federal Government’s amnesty programme and had been engaged in various forms of training. 

He urged the Niger Delta people to disassociate themselves from the threat “by saying no to vandalism in the name of militancy”. 

“They only want to take us back to the wasted years of unemployment and under-development of the oil rich region,” he said.

“We are assuring South African firms and all other firms doing business in the region of their protection and safety.”

It will be recalled that recently, MEND’s spokesperson, Jomo Gbomo, in a statement released online, threatened to attack South African investments in the region.

View the original article here

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.