Hundreds of people were evacuated from one of the world’s tallest residential buildings after it was engulfed in flames in the early hours of this morning in Dubai.
Pictures and video footage showed a large blaze ripping through multiple floors of the Marina Torch tower, a new tower in the expat-heavy Marina district of the city.
More than a dozen fire trucks were able to extinguish the blaze several hours after the fire alarm went off around 2am local time.
A witness narratted saying “flames shot out from two sides of the building as glass and metal rained down from near the summit of the 79-storey skyscraper, which stands more 330 metres tall (1,105 ft).”
A massive blaze ripped through multiple storeys of the 79-storey Marina Torch tower in Dubai early Saturday
One British woman, who was sleeping in her boyfriend’s apartment on the 72nd floor when the fire broke out, told MailOnline: ‘We just thought it was a false alarm at first, so left it for a couple of minutes as it went off at 2am, then when it didn’t stop we realised we needed to go down.
‘The lifts weren’t working so we had to walk down 72 flights of stairs with everyone, that took about 10 minutes as there were people carrying their children and babies and people who just weren’t fit enough to get down the stairs.
‘We got to the lobby and there were the firefighters but we couldn’t exit at first because there were bits of the outside building falling to the floor at the door which were still on fire.
‘Then they ran us out in little groups to across the street. And when we got outside we noticed that one of the corners was on fire and was spreading up the building.
‘We were just trying to run as quick as we could.’
The building was evacuated after the fire, which started on the 50th floor, spread fast through the high-rise building.
Residents of at least one neighboring tower were told to evacuate as a precaution because of strong winds, but they were later allowed back inside.
The blaze spread through at least 15 floors as high winds whipped through the area, on the northeastern end of the densely populated Marina district.
Police blocked off areas around the skyscraper, which still had power during the fire and lights were on in many of the apartments inside.
Debris from the fire cluttered nearby streets after the blaze was extinguished.
Police on the scene had no immediate reports of deaths or injuries.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.