President John Dramani Mahama on Tuesday revealed that investigations on the Makola fire outbreak established that it was caused by illegal electrical connection.

In line with that, he said the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development would soon come out with a standard way of constructing modern markets throughout the country to avoid the mishap.

President Mahama made the revelation when Nana Oye Lithur, Minister of Gender, Children and Social Protection led leaders of  market fire victims in the Greater Accra Region to call on him at the Flagstaff House, Kanda.

The leaders were at the Presidency to thank President Mahama for supporting them with GH? 5 million to re-capitalise their businesses after fallen victims to several fire outbreaks.

President Mahama said although the investigations had not been conclusive, it has been clearly established by both local and American investigators  that the Makola market fire were caused by electrical deficiencies.

He said the American investigators supported their Ghanaian counterparts in investigating the Makola and Kumasi Central market fire outbreaks, although the Kumasi investigation is inconclusive.

He said under the standardised constructions, there would be schools, health centres, police and fire stations that would be battle-ready to stem any eventuality.

On pirated Ghanaian textiles, President Mahama promised to seal all the loopholes at the country?s entry-points to protect the industry and jobs of so many Ghanaians that are  dependent on the fabrics for their livelihood.

He blamed the current trend on designers who leak out the designs of the local textiles to their foreign collaborators to reprint cheaper fabrics into the country and promised to lead the crusade against the practice.

Nana Oye Lithur, said a total of 7,831 traders representing about 90 per cent of the victims had received their share of the relief from government and the remaining 10 per cent are still smoothening their banking procedures before receiving theirs.

She said apart from the financial assistance, government is educating the traders to enter into insurance policies that would serve as a protection to their businesses in times of disaster.

Mr Opoku Afreh, leader of the Kantamanto used clothing sellers commended President Mahama for initiating the relief, describing him as the first President in the history of the country to have established such a fund for traders.

Madam Rosemary Laryea, Public Relations Officer of the traders appealed to government to tighten security at the country?s borders to prevent the smuggling of cheaper goods into the Ghanaian markets.

Source: GNA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.