football
football

The Ghanaian government and the world football governing body, FIFA, have agreed to collaborate closely to restore normalcy and integrity in the administration of football in the country, Minister of Youth and Sport Isaac Kwame Asiamah said in a statement on Wednesday.

The decision follows a meeting between a delegation from the Ghanaian government and officials of FIFA in Zurich, Switzerland, last Friday.

It follows the government’s temporary ban of all football activities after the premiering of investigative report on alleged corruption and bribery in the running of the game in Ghana.

Pending the institution of definite interim measures for the administration of football in Ghana, the two sides have mandated Kofi Amoah, a business mogul, and Francis Oti Akenten, technical director of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), to constitute a liaison with FIFA and CAF for Ghana’s football affairs.

“The government entreats Ghanaians and the football community in particular to remain calm while firm measures are adopted to sanitize the management of the game of football in the country,” the statement said.

The government decided to disband the FA and suspend all football activities early last month after some top football officials were seen in the investigative piece trying to undermine league matches through the payment of bribes.

About 77 referees are said to have been captured in the documentary allegedly negotiating to fix football matches.

Already, the head of the GFA, Kwasi Nyantakyi, who has resigned his position as vice-president of CAF and FIFA Council member, is facing charges for allegedly using the name of Ghanaian President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo fraudulently in the documentary. Enditem

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.