Manila’s police chief on Friday ordered the relief of an entire police force in a city near the Philippine capital amid alleged abuses, including the killing of three teenagers.

All 1,000 police officers of Caloocan City, a suburb of Manila, will undergo retraining for 45 days before they are reassigned to other districts, said Director Oscar Albayalde, head of the capital’s police force.

“We have to reshuffle all the personnel from the Caloocan City police,” he said in a television interview. “We will do this in batches.”
Albayalde issued the directive after CCTV footage appeared to show some police officers from Caloocan robbing a house during an alleged drug raid last week.

READ ALSO:  Russian jet mistakenly kills 3 Turkish soldiers in Syria

Last month, three police officers and their commander were placed under investigation for allegations that they framed 17-year-old Kian Loyd Delos Santos during an anti-drug operation before shooting him dead.

Police officers from Caloocan City were also accused of being behind the killing of 19-year-old Carl Arnaiz and 14-year-old Reynaldo De Guzman, who went missing in August.

Arnaiz’s body was identified 10 days later in a morgue in Caloocan City. He was allegedly involved in a shoot-out with police officers who tried to arrest him after he was accused of robbing a taxi driver, a police report said.

A body believed to be that of De Guzman was found with 30 stab wounds and its head covered in tape on September 5 in a river in Gapan City in the province of Nueva Ecija, 77 kilometres north of Manila.

READ ALSO:  NPRA releases second pension scheme statement

But the results of a police DNA test showed that the body was that of the missing boy. De Guzman’s parents, however, refused to accept the test results and buried the remains on Thursday.

Source: dpa/GNA/NewsGhana.com.gh

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here