John Terry

England manager Roy Hodgson says he is ?disappointed? to learn of John Terry?s international retirement but ?reluctantly? accepts his decision.

Centre-half Terry played in all four of England?s matches at Euro 2012 and featured in the World Cup qualifying win over Moldova this month.

But he claims his place in the England team is now ?untenable? following the Football Association?s decision to ?pursue charges? against him despite being cleared in court of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.

?I am of course disappointed to lose a player of John?s international experience and exceptional ability,? said Hodgson.

?I have enjoyed a good relationship with John during my time as England manager and I reluctantly accept his decision.

?He had the courtesy to call me prior to announcing his retirement.?

In a statement, the FA added: ?Following his announcement that he is retiring from the England team, the FA would like to thank John Terry for all of his efforts with the national team over the past decade. During his 78 appearances, John has always given his full commitment to the team.?

Terry retired from international football on Sunday, on the eve of a FA hearing into allegations that he used ?abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour? towards QPR defender Ferdinand in a Premier League game 11 months ago.

The 31-year-old Chelsea centre-half had already been cleared at a high-profile court case at Westminster Magistrates? Court, but the FA decided to hold its own inquiry.

Terry?s last appearance for England came on 7 September, when he played in a 5-0 World Cup qualifier victory over Moldova.

He had already been stripped of the England team captaincy as a result of the charges but played in every England game at the European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.

View the original article here

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.