He said EMS providers such as SJAG needed ambulances and funding to procure equipment such as mannequins and other items needed in the training of its volunteers as well as the execution of its mandate.
Addressing the closing ceremony of a two day trainer of trainers workshop organised by SJAG for its members across the country, Mr Apedzi said since EMS providers such as the SJAG and the Ghana Red Cross were mostly the first respondents during emergencies, they needed to be well resourced to perform effectively.
He said in an effort to help curb the numerous avoidable deaths which occurred after accidents, the organisation was planning on training people in accident prone communities so that they would be in a better position to help when the need arose.
“All these laudable initiatives come with funding and other teaching aids such as mannequins and others”, he said.
He said the two–day workshop which drew 30 participants was organised every three months to build the capacity of volunteers.
Dr Opoku Ware Ampomah, Director of the Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Burns Centre, Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, called on Ghanaians to avoid acts which would result in burns as it was one of the most traumatic event in one’s life.
He cited the sun, friction, chemicals, hot water, steam, naked flame, electricity and explosions as some of the causes of burns.
Dr Ampomah said 50 percent of burns in Ghana happened to children adding that about 45 percent of burns sent to the Centre were due to hot liquids such as water and soup.
He urged Ghanaians not to buy second hand gas cookers as the valves might be to too weak and also check on the expiry date of gas cylinders as the Centre has also been recording a high number of burns resulting from the improper use of Liquefied Petroleum Gas.