“Seven combatants were captured at Mujejuru after an attack against Mujejuru military camp on Dec. 11, 2015 and were later discovered killed.

BurundiTwo military officers have been arrested and will have to elucidate circumstances under which the seven combatants died,” said Burundian Attorney General Valentin Bagorikunda in a press conference.

Bagorikunda indicated that the case of extrajudicial killings is found in a report of a commission that was appointed on Dec. 17, 2015 to investigate into allegations of extrajudicial executions following attacks on Dec. 11 against four military barracks in the east African nation.

Three Burundian military barracks including Ngagara Camp, the Logistics Camp and the Military Academy (ISCAM) at Musaga in the Burundian capital Bujumbura and Mujejuru Camp in Bujumbura Rurla province were simultaneously attacked on Dec. 11, leaving 87 dead including 79 assailants, four soldiers and four police agents.

“For hygiene reasons, all the killed persons were buried in known cemeteries including Kanyosha and Mpanda in the capital Bujumbura. Therefore, the allegations of the existence of mass graves where those victims may have been buried are also wrong,” said Bagorikunda.

He stressed that Amnesty International and Burundi-based Iteka Human Rights League are therefore “wrong” to have alleged that assailants killed on Dec. 11 were buried in mass graves.

Bagorikunda indicated that the name of the group that attacked the military camps is not yet known.

On Feb. 29, a mass grave was discovered for the first time at Mutakura in the Burundian capital Bujumbura.

Bujumbura Mayor Freddy Mbonimpa said the mass grave contained at least 30 corpses who were killed for supporting the candidature of Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza in April 2015.

Burundi is facing a crisis since April last year when President Nkurunziza announced his controversial decision to run for a third term which he eventually won in a presidential election boycotted by main opposition candidates in July.

The violence has left more than 400 victims and forced more than 240,000 people into exile in neighboring countries. Enditem

Source: Xinhua

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.