Emmanuel Agbovi

EMMANUEL AGBOVI, a young galamsey operator, was given an acid bath by a colleague following an argument over the payment of one Ghana cedi.

Kwaku Addae, 23, took the surly action on January 23 this year at the complainant’s abode at Manso Offinho near Manso-Datano in the Amansie West District of the Ashanti region.

He was convicted and sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment in hard labour when he appeared before a Circuit Court at Bekwai presided over by Daniel Kwaku Obeng, on Thursday afternoon.

Kwaku Addae, a native of Assin Asempaneye, was convicted after pleading guilty to the charge of assault and causing bodily harm and was given a custodian sentence to serve as a deterrent to others.

Addae, on Monday, January 23, 2012 attacked Agbovi for demanding GH¢1.00 from him.  The money was to serve as the convict’s contribution for the construction of a toilet facility at the galamsey site.

Police prosecutor, Inspector Alfred Sekyi, informed the court that the convict and complainant were galamseyers at Manso Offinho in the Amansie West District.

According to him, the miners agreed to contribute GH¢1 each for the construction of a toilet facility, and the victim was tasked to collect the contributions.

Prosecution said Kwaku Addae refused to pay his contribution regardless of persistent calls from Emmanuel Agbovi for him to honour his obligation.

On January 23, 2012, the complainant/victim was confronted by the convict while he was on his way to collect the contributions of some new entrant galamseyers.

Addae reportedly accused the victim of using juju and other magic powers to mine gold, Inspector Sekyi said.

The police prosecutor continued that Kwaku Addae began insulting the complainant and the confrontation escalated into verbal exchanges.

The complainant, the court was told, left the scene to his wooden structure after they were separated, but Kwaku Addae quickly armed himself with a pickaxe and acid stored in a container, and traced the victim to his place.

Emmanuel Agbovi, according to prosecution, was forced out of his room after the convict attempted breaking into the structure with the pickaxe.

Addae immediately poured the acid on the complainant, and as a result Agbovi sustained severe burns on his face, neck and right hand.

Inspector Sekyi said Kwaku Addae escaped to his hometown at Assin Asempaneye, while the victim was admitted at the St. Martin’s Hospital at Agroyesum for more than two months.

The case was reported to the police and the convict was arrested later from his hideout upon a tip off. He was charged and arraigned after police investigations. 

 From Ernest Kofi Adu, Bekwai

View the original article here


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.