attempt to break into Gombe prison

Suspected members of Boko Haram sect, on Thursday, killed twelve people in an attack launched on one of the Gombe State police stations after a failed attempt to break into the state prison.

The incident led to a lock down, and residents were not allowed to leave their homes due to the attacks that were propelled by a failed attempt to free inmates.  

The state Inspector General of Police, Ebikeme Orubebe confirmed the attack. He said the police station was blown up with bombs.

“The gunmen had attempted to break into the prison near the police station and their attempt was unsuccessful, but they succeeded in burning down the police station,” he said. “So far 12 people have been killed in the bomb and shooting attack, 10 of them were civilians and two policemen.”

Eyewitnesses claimed it was a coordinated attack, adding that over 40 explosions went off about the same time in the town, leaving 14 persons dead.

The source also claimed they counted the bodies of ten police officers and four civilians at the State Specialist Hospital around 8p.m. on Thursday, adding that more victims and corpses were being received in the hospital and other health facilities in the state.

Some of the bombs went off near the Gombe Central Mosque located inside the Emir Palace, opposite the police division, the scene of the explosion while Muslims were observing the 8p.m. prayers.

The state Governor, Ibrahim Dankwambo imposed a 24-hour curfew following the bomb attacks. He urged residents to be calm and law abiding while he extended condolences to the families of those that lost their lives as well as those that were injured.

The attack led to a complete lock down of all business activities in the state. Only police and military personnel were seen carrying out their duties.

View the original article here

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.