The house which was gutted by the fireA one and half year old girl, Zikiah Anabah yesterday died when fire engulfed the room in which she was sleeping at Pig Farm in Accra.

The fire was started in the early hours of yesterday after a water heater was plugged by the husband of the deceased?s aunt and left unattended.

But for the intervention of fire fighters from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) the fire would have gutted more than the three rooms which suffered the blaze.

Personal belongings of residents of the affected houses were consumed by the fire.

The deceased was said to have come to Accra from Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region in the company of her mother to celebrate the just ended Eid El Fitr or Sallah festival.

On the fateful day while she was busy preparing food at about 4:30 a.m. she asked her husband Sahid Mohammed, who was preparing to go to mosque, to heat some water for her to bath.

After putting the heater on he alerted his wife to keep an eye on it as he was heading for the mosque. She however forgot to do so.

The water heater melted the plastic container and eventually caused a fire which spread uncontrollably to the surrounding areas.

The deceased, then fast asleep, could not be saved and was discovered after fire-fighters had brought the fire under control.

The Kotobabi Police later had the charred remains of the deceased moved to the Police Hospital morgue for autopsy.

When the Kotobabi District Crime Officer, ASP John Coffie, was contacted, he said the police visited the scene around 6:00 a.m. yesterday.

He said Sahid Mohammed told the police that he put off the heater before leaving the room and so the police was yet to establish the authenticity of the claim.

He added investigations were on going.

?By Linda Tenyah

View the original article here

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.