The Ashanti Regional Police Command has denied media reports that some women travelers in vehicles attacked by a gang of robbers at the Mampong scarp section of the Kumasi-Ejura Highway on September 24 were raped.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Augustine Gyening, the Regional Commander, also discounted the number of vehicles robbed, insisting that these were five and not 20 as published.

Addressing a press conference in Kumasi on Monday, he reminded the media to always get their facts correct to avoid creating panic and anxiety among members of the public.

DCOP Gyening said it was important to cross-check whatever information they received with the appropriate authorities.

He gave the assurance that the Police would not withhold any information from journalists.

He said, a driver, Collins Adu, received some slaps from the robbers and no other person was beaten up or sexually assaulted.

Mr Adu narrated how on reaching the scarp near Jamasi, he was flagged down by the robbers with a flashlight and seeing some vehicles parked he mistook them for the Police and stopped his vehicle as ordered.

They pointed a gun at him, and instructed him together with all the passengers to surrender their monies.

Prince Osei, teacher, and Mr David Annor Sakyi, a staff of COCOBOD, confirmed Mr Adu?s account and said the operation lasted for about 30 minutes.

The robbers took an approaching tipper truck for a Police vehicle and fled into the bush.

Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Thomas Osei Ababio, the Agona District Commander, said adequate security measures had been put in place to assure travelers of their safety.

They were also doing everything to arrest and bring to justice the robbers.

Source: GNA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.