Armed Robber Surrenders To Police

The principal suspect who allegedly masterminded the killing of a policeman at Tuba has surrendered himself to the police.

The suspect, Dawood Tetteh, alias Dada, a carpenter by trade, reported himself to the Accra Regional Police Command between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Sunday, February 19, 2012.

So far, four persons, including the Chief of Tuba, Hussein Mikail Agbo Narh III, are assisting the police in investigations into the circumstances that led to the death of Lance Corporal Ernest Asamoah.

L/Cpl Asamoah died instantly on Saturday,?February 11, 2012 when he was shot about 12:30 a.m. when he and his colleagues went to Tuba, near Weija, to arrest Dawood Tetteh.

Three other policemen who sustained injuries in the shoot-out are Corporal Joseph Engme, Corporal Samuel Owusu and Lance Corporal Prince Okyere. They are currently on admission at the Police Hospital in Accra.

The robbers opened fire when the police reached Tetteh’s residence, where they (robbers) had laid ambush, killing L/Cpl Asamoah instantly and causing severe injuries to the three others.

Dawood had since mentioned the name of nine other people with whom he claimed to have engaged the police in the shoot-out, resulting in L/Cpl Asamoah’s death.

They are Abdulla Sodji, alias Awor; Awer Mohammed Agbo, Fuseini Issa Teye Agbo, Alhassan Issa Teye Agbo and Akilu Delle. The rest are Aziz Agbo, Kwame Agbo, Adamu Ex Agogo and Abu Sodji.

The police have subsequently appealed to members of the public to help locate and arrest the suspects to assist in investigations.

The Deputy Crime Officer of the Accra Regional Police Command, Superintendent Baffour Appenteng, told newsmen Monday that although Dawood had admitted calling Alex Akunette and Agbo to come to his aid when the police went to his residence, he (Dawood) denied taking part in the shoot-out.

He said when Dawood’s attention was drawn to the fact that there was a bullet mark that had pierced through his window, he claimed it was Abdulla who had fired the shot into the room.

Supt Appenteng said Dawood further claimed that after a 15-minute gun battle, Abdulla allegedly asked him (Dawood) to come out of his room.

He said it was when he (Dawood) came out that he saw that a policeman had been shot dead and also saw almost all the nine people who had come to his rescue holding single-barrelled guns.

He said Dawood alleged that he was immediately whisked to Chief Hussein’s house where he (Hussein) was informed about the incident, after which the chief advised that Dawood should leave the town.

According to Supt Appenteng, Dawood claimed that a brother of his (name withheld) gave him GH¢100 to flee to Aflao.

Source: Daily Graphic

Show More

News Ghana

NewsGhana is a premier news source that covers daily news of Ghana, Africa and the World over.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker