Two people have died in western Zambia after consuming anthrax-infected meat while the number of people affected has increased to 67, state media reported on Monday.

Minister of Health Chitalu Chilufya said two people have died while 67 were currently receiving treatment from the time the disease broke out in November 2016.

The 67 people were receiving treatment as of January 17, 2017 after consuming he contaminated meat, according to state broadcaster the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation.

The official, who was speaking after touring the affected areas, added that efforts to contain the outbreak were being hampered by hunger.

The government has since warned residents in the province to desist from consuming meat from cattle that died from suspected anthrax.

Anthrax broke out in November last year in six districts in the province. So far 69 cattle are suspected to have died while 46,000 other animals are at risk.

The official said his ministry has since partnered with the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock to tackle the anthrax outbreak. Enditem

Source: Xinhua/NewsGhana.com.gh

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here