This plans is to materialize in the next few weeks when the inmates would have all left the military prison.

Guantanamo Bay
Guantanamo Bay

The first transfer is coming on in the coming days.

In a statement issued by Commander Gary Ross, a Deafence Department spokesman, he stated that “I do not have a timeline on when particular detainees will be transferred from Guantanamo. However, the administration is committed to reducing the detainee population and to closing the detention facility responsibly.”

Interestingly, most of the 91 prisoners still at Guantanamo have been held without charge or trial for more than a decade, leading to criticism from human rights campaigners.

Among the new set of transfers is  Tariq Ba Odah, a Yemeni man who has been on a long-term hunger strike and has lost about half of his body weight, according to reports.

Bah Odah, a 37-year-old Yemeni who has been force-fed by nasal tube since he stopped eating solid food in 2007 which resulted in his weight dropping to 74 pounds from 148 and his legal team feared he could die of starvation, according to an account in a Reuters report at the end of December.

Ba Odah was cleared for transfer in 2009, but his lawyers tried unsuccessfully to win his release on health and humanitarian grounds, but Pentagon officials said he was receiving proper care.

Meanwhile, ten Yemeni men were sent to Oman in January. Others were recently sent to Ghana, Bosnia and Montenegro.

Guantanámo prisoners were rounded up overseas when the United States became embroiled in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan following the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington. The facility, opened by Obama’s predecessor George W Bush, came to symbolize aggressive detention practices that opened the United States to accusations of torture.

Meanwhile, President Obama has repeatedly said he wants to transfer the men to their home countries, or to maximum security prisons in the US.

However as part of his determination to decongest the prisons, some inmates have already been sent to other countries including Ghana.

Two detainees of Yemeni origin to be resettled in the west African nation after spending years in the notorious prison after they were held for years without charge at the Guantanamo Bay prison.

Yemeni Mahmud Umar Muhammad bin Atef, 36, and Khalid Muhammad Salih al-Dhuby, 38, are settling in Ghana as part of that arrangement for two years

Both Atef and Dhuby had been cleared for release in 2010.

Meanwhile, it is alleged that some other detainees will be transferred to Ghana as part of the new set of transfers.

Source: Newsghana.com.gh

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.