MP FOR Okaikoi North, Elizabeth Sackey has warned refuse collectors who are still dumping refuse at the Achimota dump site to desist from the act immediately.

Addressing angry residents, who took to the streets on Tuesday because refuse collectors were secretly dumping at the site, which has been closed down by the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA), Madam Sackey said she will ensure that anyone caught dumping refuse at the site will be prosecuted.

Residents took to the streets on Monday demonstrating against the continuous dumping of refuse but refuse contractors.

The AMA has warned refuse collectors to stop dumping refuse at the site but they have deliberately defied the orders.

According to Madam Sackey, the number of cholera cases at the Achimota Hospital keeps increasing daily.

?Achimota Hospital records over 200 cholera cases each month and people are dying, but I feel the Accra Mayor does not seem to understand the situation on the ground. Meanwhile, he promised Ghanaians that he will transform Accra into a millennium city,? she said.

?Is this the Millennium City you promised us, is this the better Ghana we are talking about? ?

The MP promised that she would team up with residents to ensure that no one dumps refuse at the site.

She promised to visit the site frequently to ensure that work on the site goes on smoothly.

The dump site is close to the main Achimota Bus Terminal and also close to the internationally-acclaimed Achimota School.

Meanwhile, a resident who gave his name as Abrahim Salifu said the angry mob moved to the site at 2am on Tuesday to prevent the door-to-door refuse collectors who were still dumping at the site from doing so. They succeeded in apprehending one mobile refuse collector who was still engaging in the act and later handed him over to the Achimota police.

Residents had earlier complained to the AMA that the stench emanating from the site was dangerous and could pose a health risk to their families as well as commuters who used that route

A visit to the site revealed that AMA had started the leveling and disinfecting process. The one in charge of the exercise said he has directed all the collectors to use the Abokobi dump site instead.

Abrahim Salifu hinted that residents around the site will embark on a serious demonstration come Saturday if the refuse collectors do not stop dumping their refuse there.

Nii Ogbamey Tetteh/GhanaReporters

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.